Friday, September 9, 2011

9/9

Because this week has been so not-what-I-planned...here's a little something I like to call, "Things I Learned This Week:"



  1. Stubbornness is counterproductive: I came down with some acute strain of a sinus infection two weeks ago. My mother told me to go to the doctor & have it looked at, but being the cheap-skate that I am, I said no and instead, took two DayQuils and called it a day. It went away, by all appearances, and made a reappearance on Monday night. I tried to ignore it thinking, "I have too much to do to be sick this early in the semester." My body had the last word on that and ultimately, I ended up missing two days of class. So much for determination.

  2. People are inconsiderate: If there's one thing I do, to a fault, it's giving people "the benefit of the doubt." This week, I thought for certain that a friend of mine would display some semblance of understanding, or even the slightest shade of compassion at the fact that I was out of sorts & miserably ill this week: no such luck. Maybe it's my fault for overexerting myself past the point of illness, that she didn't feel she needed to be considerate of anything. In that case, shame on me for not coming right out and saying, "No. I can't. I'm sick. Go away from me."

  3. No one is an island: Over the summer, one of the followers from my regular blog & I became pen pals. I got a letter from her yesterday and, in reading it, realized that we have a lot in common: namely, that we are both admitted neurotics. It's exciting. At the same time, it's devastating because she doesn't live here and I don't live there. But despite the fact that we don't live in close enough proximity to frolic neurotically together, knowing that someone miles & miles away is like you in more ways than you thought were possible is comforting. Now that I think about it, Frida (Kahlo...one of my fairy godmothers) once said, "I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought, there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me, too. Well I hope that if you are out there, and read this and know that, yes it's true, I'm here and I'm just as strange as you."

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You learned three things in one week! I am impressed! I feel great if I learn one thing, but I guess the old adage is true: it can't teach an old dog new tricks and since i am an old dog (not an old B), it is harder for me to learn new tricks, but you are a young pup, so you can learn more and faster. Still, three things! Moreover, the things you learned are valuable, especially the third one.

    Have you ever met someone who says they know you and you know that you have NEVER ever met that person, yet they say you LOOK familiar. I used to assume that it was because I have a common face, one that looks like so many other people, but then I began to think about it and I began to believe that I have a face that others can relate to. OKAY, so I am being an optimist, but I choose to believe the second option. Not really. Like your Frida, there are so many people in this world, someone out there is bound to look and act like me. Poor Soul! Life can be cruel. LOL

    ReplyDelete